Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Road to The Horse



Ranger, Shaman, Rascal and Black Elk, mustangs adopted from the wild.

If I had a TV, I would have watched Road to the Horse. But, I don't have a TV, so I rely on the internet. Not that I didn't already have opinions about the gentling and riding of a horse within a three hour time period. I have plenty. The first one is why are our top teachers modeling this behavior? Don't they realize this sends all of us a message that faster is better? The one that does it the quickest wins after all! I think this is nuts! Pat Parelli says; Take the time it takes so it takes less time. I say 'walk your talk'!
Ina and Ranger have a good connection- He is willing and feels safe.

I have learned so much from the unique combination of Linda Parelli's  teaching style and Pat's in deapth and intuitive understanding of horses. So, why do this? Why go on national TV and model that 3 hours is enough.  Turns out, he like many of us, made a bit of an error of judgement and either slid off  or fell off, depending on how you look at it. That's no biggie.. except it tells us the horse wasn't ready. Duh!  I think this is a perfect example  'learned helplessness' in the horse.
Mustang from Robert's Mountain in the Nevada Range

I feel the same way about the 'Mustang Makeover'. There the trainers have 100 days. In comparison this sounds like forever. But, it's not! It's a tiny amount of time for a prey animal to accept a predator on his back. I can assure you that rushing horse training will not pay off in the long run.
Betty and her Anglo-Arab Leo

I made a bit of a study of the results of the Mustang Makeover and to see how those horses make out after being adopted. Some seemed to be OK, somehow managed to integrate a massive amount of information in a very short time, some have their nervous system fried- and will hopefully recover with a long rest, some needed to be restarted from the begining and I would imagine many of the new owners are still scratching their heads as to why they can't get the horse to do what they saw the horse do at the Makeover. I know, I know they do that competition to let folks know how smart and amazing mustangs are.. but, like Road to the Horse -  the message is not good. Mustangs are amazing, but they are wild horses.. they need time!
Shaman who drops his head so 5 yr old Nyah can halter him.

I never heard Walter Zettle, or Nuno Oliveria, or any of the great masters brag about how quickly they can gentle and ride a horse. They say instead that the foundation is so very important, that what you do in the begiinning will show up again and again, and that training a horse should be as subtle as grass-growing.
Rascal gives his first riding lesson to a Kiatan

So, what's the rush? Don't think quicker is better! If it's all about the horse, do you think you are doing him any favors by rushing each excercise? I say love your horse and show him that by going slowly and watching for his interest and enjoyment in your play and training. Watch for his relaxation, the softness in his eye, his desire to be with you.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kate, was gone for the last 2 weeks and just caught up with your blog. I had a look at your website. Looking nice! If you would ask me what to improve I would say to add more pictures about your farm so people know how beautiful it is...

    Petra Christensen
    Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Petra,
    thanks for keeping up with my blog! I really appreciate your comments. I will put up more farm photos! It's starting to loook like spring here.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I am sooooo looking forward to spring. After another snow storm at the beginning of this week, we are supposed to be in the upper 50's today! YEAH!
    In case you haven't seen it, here is a video of Pat with Troubadour, the horse from the RTTH, on their first day back at the ranch. It's looking quite lovely :-) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b56JdzaTLHk

    Enjoy the spring weather!

    Petra Christensen
    Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Petra,
    I did see it, and wow! It looks like he'd been riding him for a year not a few days. Some days I'd just love to send all my boys off to someone to get them going like that-progress is much slower for me. Guess that's how we learn.
    Did spring come yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kate,
    We have been to every RTTH and if it was not for the trainers being up front about taking their time, and emphasizing the horse is not a finished horse, I would not be as comfortable with it. I wish you could have seen Pat and Troubador within the first few minutes of meeting each other! Now it was hard to tell from my seat, but it looked like Troubador gave Pat a smooch! :-) Pat did take his tumble but he came back letting us all know what went wrong. As bad as I felt for him, I think it showed that it can happen to anybody. A friend just saw Pat and Troubador in TX and really bragged on those two! Oh my....I started writing a book! :-) Back to topic - I go very slow too, and am happy with that. :-)

    ReplyDelete