Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Dancing with My Horses

My Wild Boys!
 The quiet rainy months on Orcas Island in the Pacific Northwest are such a contrast to the sunny long days in spring and summer. Now the days are short and the mists draw you inward.

Rascal give me horse kisses!
 I have taken to singing and dancing with my horses. I like for them to have a chance to work in a fun, relaxing way during what is a quiet time on Orcas Island. I want them to be 'in tune' with me.  I have found that the singing relaxes me and my horses and our play just flows. We do circles and changes of direction, changes of gait, lateral movements, frontwards and backwards - like a cha-cha. When I halt, it's their job to lift their shoulders and bring in their noses. Then they get a small slice of apple.
Ranger and Rascal love to Play!
 I want to be more relaxed and dance like in my riding, so I am working at being more fluid in my movements on the ground with my boys and it will be interesting to see if this carries over. I am betting it will..in the meantime, it's fun!


Black Elk - almost FREE from the BLM!
Walter Zettle says: 'do 1,000 transition -  and.. nothing beautiful can be forced'

I know that a  balanced horse is a horse that is fun to ride. I am sure a balanced person is more fun for the horse.

I'd love to hear what you think of my new webiste: Horsemanship on Orcas

1 comment:

  1. Kate, love your web site! I told my hubby you have a Yurt on your place and we need to plan a vacation there, and take one of your clinics with a dash of kayaking.....we went on a whale watching trip out of Anacortes. We drove the Cascade Loop, headed to Anacortes, then back to the airport to head home. What beautiful country...and I can only imagine what it is like on the island. The pictures of the horses laying down and you sitting by them always make me smile....harmony....

    ReplyDelete