Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Perfect Ride


I just had the perfect ride! "Perfect" for where we are right now. Rascal is round, light, forward and on the bit! YA-HOO! He really understands lateral flexion! No fussing with the bit, just lifts his back, tucks his butt,  rounds his neck and goes forward!  I am so delighted! This has been a long road for my sweet mustang. He was awkward and unbalanced. When I first rode him it was the herky-jerky.. He was so afraid he'd fall over,  he'd get scared and stop. I think I had whip lash for the entire first year.


Since my fall before Christmas, I have been struggling to get back in shape. At about 6 weeks post injury, I could barely walk up the driveway. It's not that long.. although, there is a bit of a hill.. but still!  The progress was slow, and the chiropractor told me if I was in pain, to stop.. I was doing damage. So, it seemed to take forever.



Then I started Pilates at home.. 20 minutes or so.. then 30.. then 45. After about a month of that I was ready to go to class. Such a long upward struggle. This past month I have added the 3 mile hike from my home in Deer Harbor up Cardiac Hill, which goes through Spring Point.   Huffing and puffing.. I added music to keep me going.. I do arm exercises as I walk.. Oh, I look like an old woman!!



About three weeks ago I started riding. Wow, it hurt my back in about 10 minutes.. but a little progress every day..




The thing that made the biggest difference for Rascal was lunging him while I stood still in the center of the circle. Thank you Giddyup.. from 'Life On the Rough String/" who shared this insight from Mike Bridges clinic, she attended. See:  'A California Vaquero Style Horseman.' Mike said 30 days of PROPER lunging standing still was worth 90 days of work in the saddle. I am here to tell you it is true!


Prior to the broken ribs, Rascal and I were working on getting lateral flexion and on the bit. He was round some of the time, he was forward sometimes. I was following Jane Savoie's 'A Happy Horse' training in Dressage. We were moving in the right direction, but it was the lunging that  made all the difference. Rascal has gainned the necessary muscle memory to to carry himself.

Funny how when I look at my own photos, all I can see is how I need to improve my position!
Maybe my husband will lunge me!
5/13/10...OK, so now I have updated the photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment