Saturday, November 14, 2009

Black Elk Stands

 Black Elk watching his kitty Theo

Thursday was sunny and beautiful, in the 50's, and so of course I needed to be out with the horses. I wanted to see how Black Elk remembered his mounting lesson and if he'd stand without any moving. While brushing him, I put a box beside him to stand on, which in fact enables me to be able to brush his whole back. I thought if he got used to me being in that same spot while being brushed and eating his vitamins, it would help.
We went out into the arena, and worked on transitions, walk to trot to walk to trot, each getting lighter and more subtle. He is a great listener, and we both have good focus. All I had to do was let out my breath to stop him and bring him in. Then he'd get to rest by the mounting block. He stood every time. I took off the lunge line, tied the rope to his halter, led him up to the mounting block and he stood like a soldier! I had tucked a bite of apple under the pommel of the saddle and once seated, dropped it on the ground in front of him. He liked that.


Now we were off and running, or in our case walking - slowly. OK, well I had done the Throughbred thing and was no longer interested in hot horses, so slow was good. We worked on steering, first my eyes, then my belly button, then my legs and then the reins. In his case I use rythym. That will change when we start using the bit. Which will be soon.
I love his steadiness and unflapple nature. Some people might think he is not sensitive, but because he is somewhat introverted and if does not quite understand he just 'copes'. If given a chance to figure out what you want, he is very responsive. I used the clicker early on to create this connection, and he was an apt student. When the clicker comes out, he actually gets excited! He only gets a treat now and then after he grasps the concept, but he is ever hopeful.


I asked him for 'the big walk' and marveled again at how it felt so long and rolling, so very comfortable. The we worked on trotting. Well we have lots of work to do with the trotting, but I will say I am not worried about him being too hot! His head hardly raises and his trot is very slow yet.
You can see how he puts his butt under when trotting in our not so glamourous picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment