Sunday, November 8, 2009

Trotting Black Elk


 BLACK ELK
Today was Black Elk's 7th ride. It was kind of windy today and when I went out to the barn to get Black Elk, the horses did not hear me and suddenly I was there. I scared them. Even Black Elk, this is unusual for him to jump, he is such a mellow fellow.
Went in to put on his new super sized halter and he dropped his head as I fastened it, and lightly followed me through the man gate. He is getting lighter. Not as light as my more educated horses, but lighter.


He loves the time we spend together brushing him, untangling his mane, removing the hay from his face. I give him his vitamins and some pellets and after the bit some apples. He drools! He gets high from it. Putting on the bridle is not as smooth as I'd like, we need to work on that. He is not fond of the bit. I am mostly riding him in a halter but he carries the bit and we spend a few minutes each ride using the bit. Not long as it is still stressful for him. I like to train like watching grass growing, you think nothing is changing, as there is never any fuss.

 RIDING BLACK ELK
But, let me tell you after riding Black Elk and then jumping on Rascal, there is a lot of training and a lot of learning on Rascal's part. We all take so much for granted, like thinking the horse understands steering naturally. Black Elk doesn't and I don't think most green horses do. It is all about giving to pressure and even though he understands that concept add the stress of someone on your back and it's easy to forget. I have found if I pulse the rein ( attached to the halter) he is getting the idea. Today we worked on staying by the rail and making circles. There is a lot of steering in a circle. I use my body first, legs and position of my hips and shoulders, but it takes a while for the horse to mimic you when you first start to ride. Many horses never do this, but once you ride a horse who has learned to bend you will never be able to go back. Black Elk is straight in his body, Rascal bends around my  legs in a perfect arch. I appreciated this much more today after my ride on Black Elk.

RASCAL IN FRONT, BLACK ELK BEHIND
When we finally were getting pretty good circles and he was understanding moving out to the outside of the circle with leg pressure, I added pressure with both legs. Good thing I have been doing all those inner thigh excercises with Pilates! Wow, lots of leg to get this big guy to move. After his slow walk, I got a long loose walk at about twice the speed of the first walk, which is a fine walk, he tracks up about 3 hoof prints with that walk. The extended walk is really a ground covering walk, he will be awesome on the trails. I kept asking and finally he trotted, head down, relaxed just a few steps. I was thrilled. Lots of pats and praise, then I asked again and we trotted as relaxed as can be half way round the circle. Wow!

 RASCAL AGE 6

Let me tell yo this was some different from starting Rascal. We must have walked for a year, he seemed so unsure and so unbalanced. When we started trotting it was trot 3-4 steps and slam on the brakes. Eventurally it was half a circle and the brakes. Talk about whiplash! My neck hurt for months. Now the reminant of that is when he's on the bit, he'll raise his head a bit and hesitate, that is when I give leg!  We are working to this day on downward transitions.


Rascal age 8

Black Elk is so easy that I find the contrast stunning. I always wondered about people who progressed with their horses so quickly, the cowboys who were out on the trail after 3 rides. Well, now I know, it has a lot to do with the horse you pick. I always went for the ones with their ears pricked and aware of every little thing. If a leaf fell in the next county, they would know it. The Wranglers at Burns would often try to steer me in another direction, but until Black Elk, I couldn't listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment